Beef burgers with blue cheese
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) grey shallot (or white onion), finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 pieces of blue cheese, each about 1 tsp. (5 ml) in size
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1 CuisipakTM of Canton® 5 peppercorn gravy
- Chives for garnish, finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, blend the beef, grey shallot, chives and Worcestershire sauce. Avoid overworking the meat, so it doesn't dry up during cooking. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Separate the meat mixture into 4 balls and place a piece of blue cheese in the centre of each. Close the ball around each piece of cheese and gently flatten each ball into a patty, taking care that the cheese doesn't slip out.
- Baste the patties with olive oil and cook at medium temperature on each side until the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- At serving time, pour 5 peppercorn gravy over the patties. Sprinkle with chives.
Tips and tricks
If you dislike blue cheese, try replacing it with old cheddar, Emmenthal or Gruyère.
Makes 4 servings.
Appetizer: Mesclun salad with fine herbs and croutons. Serve with homemade or store-bought salad dressing and plenty of fresh herbs, including parsley, chives, tarragon, mint, thyme, etc.
Main dish: Beef burgers with blue cheese and Canton® 5 peppercorn gravy
Side dish: French fries (oil-fried or baked) or baked potatoes
Dessert: Ice cream sandwiches. Place a layer of vanilla ice cream (or other flavour) between two chocolate cookies (homemade or commercial), cover with toasted chopped walnuts and store in the freezer until serving.
Tips and tricks
For enhanced flavour, while the gravy is heating add 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of cognac, Madeira wine or sherry, and 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of chives, finely chopped.